WINNER! BANTING RECIPE
Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s “Return of the Naked Chef”
(Sorry, no pictures because it was so delicious that we ate it all before I could take any!)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 packet fresh spinach
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot,finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 250 ml cream
- big handful of strong cheese
- 2T lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 handful parsley, finely chopped
- 250 g haddock sliced into chunks
- 1T butter
- handful of grated cheese for pie topping
- Preheat the oven to 230°C
- Put the sweet potatoes into salted boiling water and bring back to the boil for 5 minutes.
- Carefully add the eggs to the pan and cook for a further 8 minutes until hard boiled, by which time the potatoes should also be cooked.
- At the same time steam the spinach in a colander above the pan. This will only take a minute. When the spinach is done, remove from the colander and gently squeeze any excess moisture away and chop.
- Then drain the sweet potatoes in the colander.
- Remove the eggs, cool under cold water, then peel and quarter them. Place to one side.
- In a separate pan slowly fry the onion and carrot in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes, than add the cream and bring just to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the cheese, lemon juice, mustard and parsley.
- Put the spinach, fish and eggs into a pie dish and mix together, pouring over the creamy vegetable sauce.
- The cooked sweet potatoes should be drained and mashed – add a bit of butter, salt, pepper and a touch of nutmeg if you like. Spread on top of the fish.
- Place in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are golden.
- Add some grated cheese to top of pie and grill for 5 minutes