WINNER ! BANTING RECIPE ! DAIRY FREE!
Since the lack of dairy in my life, I’ve been trying to get creative with coconut cream. And then I stumbled upon this AMAZING recipe. Please don’t be put off by the fact that it is an olive oil ice cream, it is so tasty and healthy!
- 1 tin coconut cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- tiny pinch of salt
- Heat coconut cream on medium-low heat, stirring very frequently, until hot and steaming but not simmering
- Separate eggs (keep the egg whites to make egg white enchiladas!)
- Temper the egg yolks by adding a ladle full of hot coconut cream to the yolks while stirring the yolks. Now add the tempered yolks to the saucepot, again stirring constantly.
- Heat the mixture on medium-low, stirring constantly and never letting it simmer, until the custard thickens (should coat the back of a wooden spoon and be about as thick as heavy cream), about 10 minutes. (If the custard boils, the egg will curdle. If this happens, it’s still salvageable: remove from heat immediately and pulse through a blender until smooth.)
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl or measuring cup to cool.
- Let cool to room temperature. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk all together
- Either add to an ice cream machine once cooled or pop into the freezer and once it has set (maybe 4 hours) remove and blend it until smooth