- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ tsp dijon mustard
- juice from ¼ lemon (+- 1 tbsp)
- pinch salt or more to taste
- ½ tbsp water or more if too thick
- 2 boiled eggs
- Make sure all the ingredients have reached room temperature.
- Slowly melt the butter (or ghee) in a water bath and put it aside.
- In a separate pan, mix the egg yolk with the water, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and salt.
- Fill a medium sauce pan with water and bring to a boil.
- Keep on medium heat, place the bowl with the egg yolk mixture on top of the sauce pan and keep mixing. The water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Keep mixing until it starts to thicken.
- Slowly pour the melted butter into the mixture until thick and creamy. Keep stirring at all times to avoid clumping. If the Hollandaise is too thick, add a splash of water.
- Serve on boiled / poached eggs (or whatever you want to serve it on)